Applying to Sixth Form
Applying to Sixth Form
When students join our Sixth Form it is our policy to place them on to courses that are suited to their academic ability. GCSE results are looked at very carefully and suggested courses (whether these be BTEC qualifications or A Level qualifications or a combination of the two) are recommended to students. Further to this, and in line with the newly reformed linear A Level Qualifications, students also sit an Entrance Exam within 3 weeks of them starting their courses in Year 12. This enables us to have an accurate understanding of their suitability for their chosen courses in order for them to be successful. Students who do not perform well on these entrance tests will be given another opportunity to sit the test, and if there are still concerns a more appropriate course for them to study will be recommended.
Sixth Form Induction Day – Monday 3rd July 2017
Students who have applied to join our Sixth Form in September 2017 were invited to our induction day on Monday 3rd July. A copy of the presentation is available to download below.
Arnold Hill Academy Admissions Policies 2017- 2018 and 2018 - 19 - Admission to the 6th Form
Since publication of the admissions policies there have been some changes to our entry requirements as a result of the GCSE Reforms. These suggested changes are yet to receive formal approval and are outlined below for your information.
Arnold Hill Academy Post 16 Centre currently offers a range of A Level courses as well as Applied General courses (BTEC Level 3). Subsequently we propose the following admissions criteria:
- 5 GCSEs at Grades A*-C (including a minimum Grade 5 in GCSE English Language and GCSE Mathematics)
- A grade C in a related GCSE for academic Level 3 courses (B/6 grades are recommended by the Academy for many subjects and a minimum GCSE grade A/7 is required to study A Level Mathematics. A minimum GCSE grade A*/8 is required to study Further Mathematics at A Level)
- For the Applied General courses offered (BTEC Level 3) we would require a minimum grade Merit at Level 2 BTEC or a minimum GCSE grade C in a relevant subject for courses not studied previously.
These requirements do not include English oral grades or GCSE half course grades. Please see the Sixth Form Prospectus for specific entry requirements for each subject. The admission limit for applications to Year 12 from outside the school is 25. A meeting will be held to advise and clarify entrance requirements for particular courses; these are also given in the Sixth Form Prospectus. This meeting will not form part of the admissions process.
Oversubscription Criteria for the 6th Form
Where the number of applications for admission exceeds the number of places available, the following criteria will be applied in the order set out below, to decide which children to admit:
1. A looked after child or a child who has previously been looked after.
2. Proximity to the school will be used with those living nearer being given priority.